Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Starting Fresh

We had a wonderful weekend of new beginnings. Frodo went on his first camp out this weekend since going back to scouts. We were a little nervous about his state of mind when he returned. He used to be a wreck when he came home, full of negative energy and sleep deprived. He came home yesterday happy and surprisingly full of energy. He of course wanted to tell me about all the bad things that happened. I stopped him short and had him tell me one good thing for every bad thing. This worked really well because it kept him from focusing on the bad and to remember the great parts.
Bug had friends over all weekend. On Saturday she had a new friend over and their time went really well together. Bug was a little nervous since she hadn't spent time alone with this friend. She had only played with her with another girl who is not nice and very controlling. They had a great time together and are making plans to hang out again.
I forgot to mention that Bug was actually grounded from the controlling friend. I also asked her to reflect on her friendship with this girl. She feels confused because she recognizes how unkind and controlling she is but says that sometimes she is nice. But it seems that she recognizes that the nice days are few and far between. It also hurt Bug that this girl has repeatedly been mean to a few little ones that Bug tends to have trailing her. She adores really young kids and gladly gives her time to them. I have tried to talk to the girls mom but it was useless. She thinks her daughter is a perfect angel.
I really shouldn't babble on about such drama. This situation has been driving me a bit batty lately. The last thing you wan to see is your child being controlled by another. But I think we have finally made progress which is making me feel much better.

1 comment:

Cher Mere said...

I am glad Frodo had a good camp experience.

Z had a bossy controlling and sometimes mean friend who she insisted was "nice" and a good friend too. It was hard and we would often take extended breaks from her. What helped was Z getting other friends she felt she could turn to.