Friday, February 8, 2008

Our Day

We have had a very strange past two weeks. I have been looking for new inspiration and in the mean time not feeling very motivated. I have also not been feeling very happy with our homeschooling group situation (I'll save that for another post). So overall I have been feeling like I'm in a bit of a rut.
Yesterday, things started looking up. I feel like I'm slowly getting a grip on the new direction were taking and feeling confident enough to really start implementing it. My plan is to give them a directed lesson with me in the morning on one or two subjects each day. Then in the afternoon they can explore what they are interested in. Each of them will have discussed with me what they'll be studying beforehand and they will have activities planned to work on that they have chosen. This will be in addition to the classes they are taking. I'm still trying to work out the kinks so we'll see how this goes.
The current classes include: Shakespeare, Civics, Spanish, Creative Writing and Bug has Art.
Yesterday we did begin my part of the arrangement. We will be studying the Greeks for a while so we began reading some Mythology and The Trojan War. They are also individually reading Tales from The Odyssey. It's way to easy for them but they can finish each book in about 40 minutes. I'll move them up to something meatier next week.
The Monkey just listens in on what I'm reading aloud. He has also been choosing a subject a week to study. The past two weeks have been Dinosaurs. We just finished all of our reading so on Sunday I'm going to take him to the Natural History Museum to see the fossils. He still does a little math. I haven't been pushing him on reading lately. This seems to be working to my advantage because now he is more interested in it than ever. He's a child that tends to resist if I push to much. He also has an amazing memory. He can tell you everything he has heard. It's just a matter of what he decides to share with you.
In other news, Frodo had a check up yesterday and we now need to see an endocrinologist. I knew this was coming but I was hoping it wouldn't be for a while yet. Sadly, he is still growing at a snails pace. He hasn't bounced back as much as he should have since the Celiac diagnosis. So I agreed to have a consultation and to explore the possibility of growth hormone. I haven't done enough research yet to have an opinion on the matter. But the thought of it scares me a bit.

2 comments:

Cher Mere said...

Wow, it looks like the scheduling can be tricky with three kids. I have a hard enough time and I only have to focus on one...

I am sorry about Frodo. Maybe you can talk to Pere's parents about it on Saturday.

Gwenivere said...

I will do that.