Monday, February 4, 2008

She Can Sew!

I did it! Today I finally got the new sewing machine to work and I won the battle that ensued getting it there!
The new machine is technically Bug's. It was a gift from my mom for xmas '06. Only she just got it a month ago. In that amount of time Bug lost interest in learning how to sew. So I figured the best way to get her interested again was to get back into sewing myself and her interest would follow.
Now I used to be able to sew. I was actually quite good too. When I was a senior in HS I sewed a lot of my own clothing and was set to go to FIDM, until fate intervened and had me end up at UCSB instead. From then until now I had a crummy machine that I never had the patience to get to work right. I eventually gave it back to my mom to do with as she pleased. So when the new machine finally showed up I was quite excited to resume my old passion.
But as luck would have it I couldn't remember how to work the machine! I spent an entire day last week pouring over the manual trying to get the darn thing to work right. Of course I couldn't let my pride down and actually call a friend (or gasp! my mom) for help. So after a little blood and sweat I got everything figured out and was sewing again.
But then I let the machine sit there staring at me for a week. So today I pulled out Frodo's scout uniform to sew some badges on. The machine almost won, but I did triumph! And boy was it great not hand stitching those babies on! Now I finally feel comfortable enough to finish "the doll." The big plus is that Bug is coming around. I think seeing me get frustrated and get through it helped my little perfectionist realize that she might be able to as well.

No comments: