Wednesday, February 27, 2008

One bad day

Today has been one of the worst days ever of having children. It started out on a bad note with news that a relative had passed away. Which wasn't quite so bad since there are currently 3 closer ones on the "watch" list. This was a great Aunt that my husband barely knew. But the hardest part of the entire day was Monkey.

Monkey had been complaining about his face burning. I waited it out since he has very dry skin and we had Santa Ana winds yesterday. I dutifully put on lots of lotion and hoped it would take care of its self. But last night he didn't sleep. He became compulsive about putting cold water on his face during the night. Which of course made his skin even drier. So I finally made him a doctor appointment but he couldn't be seen until the afternoon. In that span of time he completely "lost his marbles." He began sneaking into the bathroom when ever I left the room. We went to a friend's house for Spanish where he decided to lock himself in her bathroom, scream deafening screams all for cold water. I tried to carry him out, then he ran back into her house and lock the bathroom door again. So finally I walked out the door so I could move my car into her driveway to get him out of there easier. He hears me leaving and bolts out of the house thrashing and screaming the whole way. I had become so hysterical at this point that I was laughing because otherwise I would have been screaming as loud as him. She has to think we're all nuts. Plus she was crying because she is so empathetic that she couldn't help herself.
So, then a bit later we are waiting at the local drug store to fill his prescription from the doctor. (He's apparently having an allergic reaction to something, my guess is all the gunk floating around from the winds.) He again proceeds to flip out with the screams because I allow the other two children to walk home and go take the dog for a walk. He was screaming so bad that I thought for sure someone was going to accuse me of kidnapping him.
Once we're finally home again he gets put on Mommy lock down. I make him lay on the couch next to me and pretty much not move. It took about an hour for the medicine to start to calm him down. But he was still trying to sneak off to the bathroom. So in the end Daddy came home and he lost a whole lot a stuff for all the outbursts. He has finally just went to sleep and maybe I can calm down. If I was a different person I would so be whipping up some margarita's right now! Instead I'll just go watch AI with the other kids.

2 comments:

Cher Mere said...

Oh no! I feel so sorry for you. And I feel really bad for Monkey. Do you think the allergic reaction was effecting his behavior?

Gwenivere said...

It was absolutely affecting him. He is totally normal today on the antihistamine. He hasn't tried to wash his face once.