Tuesday, October 9, 2007

A Little Bit of Pixie Dust


J when she was 6.

I touched on something in my last post that I am really sad about. I think J losing the last of her baby teeth has been more traumatic on me than her. Which is rather funny since she is the one who had to actually get the teeth pulled.
I can still remember the first time the tooth fairy left her a gift. The sparkly, crinkly wrapping paper, the "pixie dust" all over her bed and her bounding into my bed the next morning to show me what the tooth fairy had brought her. It is one of the best childhood memories of her. The gifts were always books in the beginning. Then they matured a little bit as she got older. When she found out that everyone was getting money while she got books she was pleased to have a "different" fairy. But eventually she really wanted the cash. Showing the sign of her age the last thing her fairy left was a pair of pretty earrings and an itunes gift card. But her fairy also left her a card telling her how much she would miss being her fairy and that she would always watch out for her.
Now my daughter is very quick. She knows her fairy very well. She seemed very touched by it all. Even though my oldest still has several teeth to go and my little one hasn't even gone there yet, I am still sad. Perhaps it is something about her being the first of my children to lose all her teeth. It just seems a little out of order. But then again she has always been the mature one. A grown up in a child's body. There is just something so magical about little girls and fairies. It's a class all of its own. Lucky for me S loves fairies more than anyone would ever guess.

1 comment:

Cher Mere said...

aw, that is such a sweet post. We miss you guys.