Sunday, September 23, 2007

Obsessions

Okay I will admit it. I have a problem with planning. As in, I over plan and analyze everything in my life. My favorite obsession is the kids school curriculum. I generally feel fairly justified when a new obsession occurs, but when I can't seem to make a decision I start to wonder if I'm going overboard.
Two things have brought on my latest issue. We'll start with the simple one first. I hate the fact that C is using K12 for his school work. I thought it would be great for him. He still likes it, but it honestly makes me seethe. In the three weeks he has been using it, all he has learned to do is take a test. I am willing to give it some more time to see if my fears are unfounded. After all, I know plenty of other middle schoolers who are using it successfully. It has also been great for his need to have a plan. (A child after my own heart.) But, I just happened to notice the other day that he has figured out how to work their system. This of course puts me in a tail spin because as a homeschooler I want him to learn how to learn, not take a test. So this little issue will have to wait a few weeks for an answer. But my plan is to not allow him to have so much freedom when doing his lessons so I can make sure he's not "working it."
My big issue currently is J's history and science. She has been completing a weeks worth of science in 45 minutes. I know this is an obvious sign that it's too easy for her. She would really like to just do it anyway. She has convinced me that she will just do several weeks in one week then move onto something else later in the year. I am pretty sure that I am fine with this. But to top it off her history is also too easy for her. So of course now I can't stop contemplating if I should continue on with what she has but with supplementation, or return her history and get her the next level up. I went to a friends today who has the next level and she kindly got everything out so I could look it over carefully. Honestly it just confused me more. It would be fine for her, but when I mentioned the change J was rather upset. I'm pretty sure it's because she likes to have things easy. But easy doesn't do her any good.
So tonight shall bring more obsessing and planning. Just maybe I'll have some sort of enlightenment tonight and figure all this out! But knowing me there will be just another obsession around the corner.

1 comment:

Cher Mere said...

I am exactly the same about obsessive planning.

And I think I would feel the same way you do about what is going on with your kids. "Easy" just isn't good enough. We are homeschooling because we think/hope our kids will get a better education.

Did you ask J why she felt upset? Maybe it is for a different reason. Otherwise I think it is good for them to have some challenge.