Monday, June 1, 2009

Much to Contemplate

We just had our final teacher meeting of the year with our Charter school. It left several things for me to think about over the next few months and during the next school year. The kids are reaching a stage where I need to consider things which I haven't needed to consider before.
The first is the options available to us for Frodo for High School. It's kinda a big scary word for me. But it is only a year away and I would like to make smart choices that open doors rather than close them. He has no intention of attending a school whether it be private or public. There are other choices but we have narrowed it down to continuing with our Charter or filing as independent. I had assumed that I would file as independent when he reached HS age, but now I am reconsidering. I had a wonderful talk with my teacher today that made me feel more comfortable continuing our current situation. It really comes down to our teacher, we have had her for 3 years now and she knows us and our style of educating well. But this means that there are things to consider as I plan out his 8th grade year. A few of his 8th grade subjects will be able to count for HS if I just plan them correctly. They are things he was going to be taking already, I will just need to adjust them ever so slightly so they fit.
My next area of thinking has to do with Monkey. There is a lot to consider this summer with him. He is very intelligent, but a major wiggle worm and extremely anxious. His anxiety keeps him from sleeping most nights, and from participating in classes as well as making new friends. Also, in my opinion he is not just a typical boy that has a need to move around. He has such trouble focusing that it takes an hour to do one page of math that he knows. Most of the time he is noticing everything else in the world around him. When I do get him to focus, (it has to be really early) he makes huge leaps and really shows how much he understands. So now I am trying to decide how much more time I give him before I seek out help. But an option that I forgot about was presented to me today. I'm not quite ready to discuss the option, but it gives me some hope and it feels like it might be the right way to handle things.
So those are the things I am sure will keep me up tonight. As I tend to over analyze everything around me. :)

2 comments:

Cher Mere said...

Good luck!

And maybe you analyze just the right amount. ;)

Gwenivere said...

Maybe I do since I made headway on my thought process. I'll leave Frodo where he is for now and see where it takes us. And as for Monkey we have decided to act on our plan now. :)