Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Petty Party


I will start with the good then do a bit of a rant on a situation that is really bothering right now. First I cut all my hair and donated 12 inches! I love my hair shorter, its so much easier for me!
The older two kids had Shakespeare yesterday which is always wonderful. They also got their parts. Bug is Katherine in Love's Labour Lost and Frodo will be Launcelot in The Merchant of Venice. Frodo is soo excited, he's very good friend will be Gobo and the two of them will be quite the comedy duo. Even the teacher yesterday said, "Well I guess I asked for this". They kids also did math and played at a friends house for the afternoon. Our friend has an acre of land ( a rarity in Southern Cali.) so all the kids always have a blast!

I am so mad about what is going on in our homeschool group right now. It was such a wonderful group in the beginning but now one of the leaders has become very narcissistic. She has contradicted herself on many occasions, started picking off those who show her any kind of opposition, and done things that are just plain unethical. The final straw for me today was kicking someone out of the group for nothing other than her own personal agenda and then without talking to the other group leader removing her as a leader and saying that she can do what ever she wants, its her group. This just leaves a really bad taste in my mouth and makes me feel unsafe in such a terrible environment.

So then this poses the question "Do I really need a group?" I have a good network of close friends that we see regularly. Some of them are talking about setting up an informal group of their own. But really, there must be something in the water around here that leaves people with the need for world domination. This is the third HS group I have been in that something like this has happened. I have some decisions to make, but I am tired of standing back and letting the pieces fall where they will, people with control issues need to stop trying to control the masses. SO do I need a group, no not really. I guess the only thing holding me back is the comfort of having a "group" but I just don't really think its necessary anymore.
Thanks for listening to my little rant. :)

6 comments:

Cher Mere said...

Awesome about the Shakespeare! Great Parts!!!

Regarding The Leader "Oh Great and Terrible One"

Why are people putting up with her? I am not saying you because your idea of just getting out is a healthy and smart one.

But why doesn't anyone just say 'No" to her? "No, you are not our leader" "No it is not your group" "No, you are not the boss of any body here." "You need to stop. Your behavior is out of line."

How are the other people in the group reacting?

Right now I am in a happy group space. So that part of me wishes you could have the nice people from your group get together and make a another group.

Maybe don't call it a group. Maybe just invite the people that you and your kids get along with to your house or to the park once a week and see how it grows.

It is sad and scary that there are so many weirdoes out there. I can imagine you are feeling kind of shell shocked and just need a break from anything claiming "group" status.

Sorry...

Cher Mere said...

and hey, nice haircut!

Gwenivere said...

Thanks! At this point a bunch of people are sending out something to the rest of the group so they know what has been going on. I think I just needed to write it down to see clearly what I was going to do. I'll be leaving the group and just doing more of "get together" thing. The really scary thing is this is a different person (and group) than the last leader with issues.

patrice said...

Great photo! Nice to see you!
As for the group, Ak! We have our own community, some schooled, some not, that make up our circle. We also "belong" to two groups. We choose a few things with the groups, and it can get pretty sticky sometimes. So I choose to go very "light."
Annie's needs for large groups in small, so I can.
I love that you are taking care of yourself in this regard!
Warmth,
P-

Cher Mere said...

A different leader?? Ack! There must be something in the water.

Forte said...

Hi Gwen,
We have similar issues , here at the Big Island where the Secret House is. I can't tell you how many denominations of HS'ers we now have, as a result of the silly behavior you have described. :/
I sincerely hope you find a nice little tight-knit group and have a wonderful rest-of-the-year!
Forte