Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Newborn and The Firstborn

I am still here but I feel like I have a newborn all over again. Who ever said a new puppy would be easy? I knew what I was getting into but perhaps just not to the extent. Baxter has to be watched constantly since we're in the middle of potty training. He also can't go in public until he is 16 weeks old. That's the one thing I wish I had know beforehand. Our life is currently chained to the house since we don't want to leave him alone for more than 2 hours at a time. But he's still worth it.

Also constantly on my mind this week is my oldest. C is turning 12 this week. I can't believe he is already that old. I think it would help if he looked as old as he is. All the other kids around his age are having their growth spurts and he has fallen even further behind. His best friend was over yesterday and to my surprise C barely comes up to his shoulders! I am so crossing my fingers that he is still growing and will have his growth spurt late like the doctors say. He has a friend who is 14 and only a few inches taller than him, he is now going to be getting hormone injections. I really don't want to cross that bridge.
We also had a big realization on his academic front this week. Because C went to school in K and 1st grades and came into K reading he was never taught phonics. I had been suspecting it for a while now. We took him to get tested last week and our suspicions were correct. I think this is why he seems to have so many strange issues academically. He is very intelligent but struggles in odd ways. So now it all makes sense. I just need to get it corrected now. I have a feeling after it is rectified he will soar again.
But he is still an incredible kid. He does so many things everyday that are completely selfless. I still will never believe his ability to construct things. For Christmas he got a huge Lego Star Wars piece and had it put together in less than three days. (not working on it constantly) Some day he wants to be an architect and I can see it suiting him well. So only time will tell.
Next time I promise a puppy picture!

1 comment:

Cher Mere said...

I can't wait to see the puppy (and you guys!) It sounds like we will have a lot to talk about.