Sunday, May 31, 2009

Items to Cover Over Summer

So after all of these years homeschooling I am finally going to give my kids tasks to complete over the summer. In past years I have left summer open to free reading and imaginative play. But the kids are at a peak learning time and I don't think it would benefit them any if I were to give them a break. They are still going to get plenty of play time in but with a little extra effort. Not to mention all the natural things they inquire about on their own.
This is a list of what they'll be accomplishing this summer:

All three:
Read The World of Augustus Cesar aloud
Calligraphy writing

Monkey:
We will continue with Rocket Phonics, he's made huge leaps of progress and I don't want to slow him down.
Finish up Singapore Math 1B
Work some more in Daily Language Lessons for The Well Trained Mind (he responds really well to this)

Bug & Frodo:
Finish Caesar's English, Paragraph Town and Building Poems (This kinda took a back burner and we never got through it as quickly as I wanted)
The Life of Fred Beginning Algebra
Aristotle Leads the Way, book and study guide

For the older two kids I just wrote out a 10 week schedule for the summer that begins this week. I figured that would give them some extra wiggle room for other activities. Their list is not set up daily but rather weekly. This way they have to manage their time to get the assignments done by the end of the week. With Monkey we'll just keep with our natural daily routine.
They also all have free choice for the books they want to read. This is a really nice treat for them. I usually have them choose 3 classic books for every other type of book they read. There are some interesting choices popping up!

2 comments:

Forte said...

Wow! I am so impressed that you have a 10 week schedule for the summer! I think grace'd mutiny if i did that. LOL I do have a Mathematics program lined up for ...well, as soon as it gets here until she finishes it, and she's reading for a stuffed toy again at the library this summer. All of teh other subjects are interest-based. ( We just watched Seven Years in Tibet the other day and discussed the history and teh Dalai Lama, etc. It was great. )
Forte

Gwenivere said...

Ah, the Dalai Lama was such a favorite subject of ours this year. He was just here speaking a month ago and we were all so bummed that we couldn't get tickets.