Friday, August 28, 2009

Choices

I really wonder if there is anyone else out there who obsesses and plans the way I do? Sometimes I think my need to plan and have paths laid out are what drive me. This need can be a blessing and a curse. Sometimes I wish it would turn off so I would be able to have a moments peace inside my brain, then again maybe I should just get a hobby!

Next school year I will have a high schooler. Just the thought of it is keeping me up at night, and it's still a year away! So many options, so many choices to be made. All the burning questions: What does he want? What do I want? What can I handle? What is the best choice for him? How do I ensure he gets into the colleges he wants? I'm literally tearing my hair out.

Here is my main conflict. I want to continue homeschooling him, but his snarky teenager ways are starting to get a bit on my nerves. He's always been such a wonderful and delightful child, now the testosterone has kicked in and he's well, a teenager. My husband keeps telling me that this snippet of it will pass in the next year, but I'm honestly afraid it might not. Some days it's like having a 3 year old all over again. The boundaries are getting pushed and the emotions are running high.

I think my plan at this point is to tour the high schools we're interested in when it comes time in January. This way we get a feel for what's available. I'll probably even consider enrolling him in one at that time just make sure he gets a spot, then make a decision in June. But even as I'm writing this I can hear the little voice in my head telling me I won't be happy with them. :)

No comments: