Thursday, March 13, 2008

In good times and bad

This week has been full of wonderful things but also some not so great things. I'm going to start with the good. We are having a FABULOUS week in regards to schooling. Things have never been smoother and I feel wonderful that I have renewed energy and enthusiasm.
We also had a great play date for the kids and mom. We went to a local art museum with a friend who just moved to the LA area. I also read a book this week that was non fiction *gasp*.
Now on to the not so great things. Baxter got neutered today. He's not feeling so great and has a bit of recuperating to do. But in the end it will be a good thing. He just breaks my heart looking so sad. I even had to put the "satellite dish" on him because he was trying to lick his wounds.
Now on to my dear Frodo. Just when I think this kid has already had enough to deal with more gets put on his plate. So we saw the pediatric endocrinologist on Tuesday. Which led to X-rays and a huge amount of blood work on Wednesday. They took 8 vials of blood. This seems like a huge amount when you look at the size of him compared to all that blood. There is a good chance he will be doing an all day test soon. He'll need to be admitted in the hospital for the day for this blood test. We are having to move quickly because even though you can't tell by looking at him he is full swing in adolescent changes.
Then today we had his usual six month check up with the pediatric G.I. doctor. This lead to the discovery of an allergy to corn. Given that the child can not eat gluten, oats or soy he has been practically living on corn! To top it off the biopsy on his small intestines and stomach that we have been putting off really needs to be done now. Hubby and I discussed it this evening with him and we're going to go ahead and schedule it.
Believe me I know there are much worse things in the world that he could be have. I do feel blessed that it isn't anything worse. We've also made him very aware of this. But my heart just breaks that its always him with the health problems. Of course for the rest of today he was incredibly upset that he will not be able to have corn. Lucky for him that in order to get a proper biopsy reading he needs to continue eating it. He wants me to make him everything he loves that has corn in it before he has to stop. So it looks like I'll be making lots of cornbread tomorrow!

1 comment:

Cher Mere said...

oh gosh! Poor Frodo. Man, that sucks.

I am know you must be worried and bummed. I am really sorry.

I hope that you are able to get some good information and then be able to do something that helps. You have my best wishes.